[Tdwg-lit] Level 2 starting point

Donald Hobern dhobern at gbif.org
Fri Feb 10 09:55:36 CET 2006

Anna,

One comment following from the GUID meeting is that I believe we need to get
serious about being able to represent our data models in RDF.  This means
that the goal should indeed be for a "flat" (Darwin Core like) standard.  If
there are elements which hold nested complexity that we wish to represent,
we should recognise that these are probably separate data objects which
should be modeled as separable components (with their own "flat" standards).
The top level object can then have a property whose value is the identifier
for one of the lower level components.  Even if we choose to compose rich
documents with entire trees of object relationships, the underlying model
should make these separations clear.

Thanks,

Donald

Donald Hobern (dhobern at gbif.org)
Programme Officer for Data Access and Database Interoperability
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321483   Mobile: +45-28751483   Fax: +45-35321480

  _____