[Tdwg-obs] Antw: Re: On observation definition / moving forward

SABINE ROSCHER SABINE.ROSCHER at ble.de
Fri Feb 10 15:10:57 CET 2006

Hello,

We work in the field of agrobiodiversity, e.g. crop wild relatives. For us the combination of oberservation data and samples is very important.

We consider the unit as central element, which can be a part of an organism, an ogranism, or a group of organisms. The reason for going under the level of organism is that sometimes the plant with all roots etc. can be quite larger than the part that is observed and recorded for a certain location.

This describes the line we think along :
"A unit in our context is uniquely identified by time, place(site) and taxonomy. In addition a particular unit could be sampled to further assist in characterising it. Such samples could be (1) seed samples/planting material (classical ex situ accessions), (2) photos or (3) herbarium vouchers."

UNIT {time, site, taxonomy} (+ sample)

(With regard to the prior discussion I agree that we also have to handle legacy data with missing entries for time and place.)

Sabine

Sabine Roscher
513 - Informations- und Koordinationszentrum für Biologische Vielfalt (IBV)
Bundesanstalt für Landwirtschaft und Ernährung
Deichmanns Aue 29, 53179 Bonn
Tel.: +49 (0)228 6845-3235 (oder -3237)
Fax: +49 (0)228 6845-3787
E-Mail: sabine.roscher at ble.de
Internet: www.ble.de
weiterführende Information: www.genres.de

>>> Steve Kelling <stk2 at cornell.edu> 09.02.2006 18:55 >>>
Hello,
I really like the improvements made on the definition, and I might suggest
that I put it up on the TDWG-obs website http://www.avianknowledge.net/tdwg.
I think we still need to define occurrence, and I think that Arthur
Chapman's "species occurrence data" gets us most of the way there. My sense
is that the elaborations need to be expanded a bit more. For example, data
collection event.  I suggest that we include in the definition some
information about time, minimum required data, and so forth. These
definitions can be longer and more detailed than the observation
definition. So taking data collection event:  An event, during or after
which at least the minimum required data were recorded.

Can we identify the minimum required data? For us it is:
who the collector is
where the information was collected (and should refer to occurrence
information and all of the discussion with it)
when the data and time
what was observed (and how many)
effort distance covered, time spent etc.
I'm sure there are other data for the minimum required data and this is
worth discussion.

We should also discuss the event. For example, one of ours and Bird Studies
Canada projects (Project FeederWatch) the event can last 2 days.

We also need to think about whether we want to include protocol. In our
definitions no protocol (incidental observation) is also a protocol.

Anyway, thanks for the improvements on the definition of observation. I
(like Lynn) look forward to discussing some of these other issues.

Steve