[Tdwg-obs] more on observation standards

Jerry Cooper CooperJ at landcareresearch.co.nz
Fri Oct 21 05:45:39 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I'm enclosing an email that Flip Dibner sent me during the TDWG meeting on the OGC effort in the area of 'observations and measurements'.
Follow the links below to the documentation.
I think they have come up a well though out  generalized model that encompasses most of the scenarios I can think of. Perhaps the only down side is the work necessary to pack/unpack data into this form, i.e. as a data exchange standard it looks great, but as an easily understandable working tool it looks heavy.

Jerry
*-------------------------------------------------

Jerry,

You can download OGC's O&M Recommendation from their Recommendation
Papers page at http://www.opengeospatial.org/specs/?page=recommendation
.   The direct download link is
http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=1324 .  I would
draw your attention in particular to Appendix C.5., Ecological Survey.

There is more recent information that I think will accommodate even
more of our needs, but I don't have as well organized, and the newest
bits are not yet public.  I will pull all this together for the sake of
the group at large, as suggested by Stan.

Flip

Phillip C. Dibner
Ecosystem Associates
(650) 948-3537
(650) 948-7895 Fax

WARNING: This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or
privileged. They are intended for the addressee only and are not to be read,
used, copied or disseminated by anyone receiving them in error.  If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email and

The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and do not
necessarily reflect the official views of Landcare Research.

Landcare Research
http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz