[Tdwg-obs] Tdwg-obs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 5

Robert K. Peet peet at unc.edu
Sun Nov 20 18:38:04 CET 2005

Hi Steve,

Try the folllowing revision, which is in part an exercise to see whether I
understand your definition.

"An observation characterizes the occurrence of an organism or set of
organisms through a data collection event using a defined protocol at a
defined spatiotemporal location. Individual observations are not
necessarily independent entities and potentially can be linked through
common characteristics such as time, place, protocol, and individual
organisms."

Bob

> Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:01:11 -0500
> From: Steve Kelling <stk2 at cornell.edu>
> I suggest that we go with the definition of an observation as:
>
> An observation characterizes the occurrence of an organism (or a community
> of organisms) through a collection event using a defined protocol and
> spatiotemporal location. Individual observations are non-independent
> entities that can be linked to each other through their common characteristics.

      Robert K. Peet, Professor & Chair         Phone:  919-962-6942
      Curriculum in Ecology, CB#3275            Fax:    919-962-6930
      University of North Carolina              Cell:   919-368-4971
      Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3275  USA          Email:  peet at unc.edu

                    http://www.unc.edu/depts/ecology/
                  http://www.bio.unc.edu/faculty/peet/