random notes on LSIDs

Greg Whitbread ghw at ANBG.GOV.AU
Wed Sep 29 18:42:06 CEST 2004

Too many streams to choose from so I will jump in here as well.
Bob's comments on wiki vs. mail are well noted.

One really important attribute of LSID's is that they *are* intended to
be persistent enough to outlive the objects that they represent and/or
our ability to resolve them. So that, one day, we might know when
multiple documents have referenced a single object - digital or
otherwise.  It is this property that is particularly useful to GBIF
where there is a requirement to identify the unique objects duplicated
within a system that is designed, from the outset, to replicate at all
costs. But as Dave V. has earlier noted - we may still be confusing our
need for LSIDs with our GUID requirement.  Digir and Biocase already
provide mechanisms for index maintenance, meta-data query, data
retrieval etc.

The LSID specification, noted by Thau below, states that as well as
being persistent an LSID will always resolve to the *"same set of
bytes"* [concrete] or an *empty set* [abstract] ( I have assumed that
this meant *exactly the same*, but I could be wrong).  The implication
is that DiGIR, ABCD and HISPID representations of the same object all
require unique LSIDs . The specification documents provide examples to
illustrate *hierarchical* ways of registering LSIDs for a single object
in multiple formats.  Versioning is in there to cover changes to an
object - which must still be registered - but a change in format could
require yet another LSID.

Each LSID references a static object - once one has one ...  unless one
has more than one, which is also possible.

never-the-less there are still other ways in which LSIDs may prove
useful to biodiversity informatics. Dave V. has mentioned the possible
use of an LSID that resolves to a DiGIR query - a static object that may
be used to retrieve from a dynamic data set.  And Thau has mentioned the
fact that while the object behind an LSID must not change, meta-data for
that object may be provided from many sources and in different formats.
Perhaps there is scope here for the the object behind an LSID to be only
that relatively stable component of the contributor data set that will
be used to build the global index (or query), with LSID registration and
resolution used to simplify index maintenance and with the getMetaData
methods providing access to complete records or their access points.
Duplicate records registered with abstract LSIDs resolving to a parent
LSID...

In herbaria the physical objects are commonly duplicated. Supposedly
duplicate vouchers from a single collecting event -  the primary data
source.  Is our aim to provide access to the data gathered during that
event (with the benefit of taxonomic hind-sight) or to the objects that
result, or both?  How do identify replicate material? Will an LSID help
with resolution of ambiguous events?

greg

)

--