Taxonomic Search Engine - Now with "Did you mean"

Roderic D. M. Page r.page at BIO.GLA.AC.UK
Thu Nov 11 15:20:55 CET 2004

Because I can't spell to save myself, I've added a "did you mean"
feature to the Taxonomic Search Engine
(http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/portal/ ). You now have the
option of asking for suggested spellings, based on a list of names I
have stored on the server, as well as any suggestions offered by
Google.

For example, if you search on "Physeter catadon", you will be asked
if you really meant "Physeter catodon" (note the "o" instead of the
"a").

Both the spelling suggestion, and the name search itself are now
available as web services. Documentation and example clients are
available at the site (I hope to flesh these out as time permits).

Regards

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page
Editor Elect, Systematic Biology