Name for the standard

Chuck.Miller at MOBOT.ORG Chuck.Miller at MOBOT.ORG
Wed Sep 17 13:01:12 CEST 2003

>Ultimately, this is about a Standard for Structured Data to Describe
>Biological Objects -- isn't it?

>I think that is what we are talking about...  you could leave out
'structured data' too and it >will still make sense...

Leaving out "structured data", how about Biological Object Description
Markup Language - BiODML.

We could then have Biological Object Taxonomy Markup Language - BiOTML and
Biological Object Collection Markup Languag - BiOCML (now either Darwin
Core/DiGIR or ABCD?).

As an aside, won't all three of these languages need to fit together or
follow some consistent conventions to ultimately to feed data into a
complete GBIF data repository or global search service?  For instance, don't
they all include taxon name data?

Chuck