XML: How to require either or both of two child elements, but prevent both missing?

Guillaume Rousse rousse at CCR.JUSSIEU.FR
Sun Feb 23 13:00:10 CET 2003

Le Samedi 22 Février 2003 23:58, vous avez écrit :
> jrc> How about changing the model to 'choice' and requiring one but
> allowing two jrc> (or multiple) occurrences of optional elements?
> jrc> something like this maybe?
>

> jrc> <xs:choice minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="2">
> jrc>  <xs:element name="A" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1"/>
> jrc>  <xs:element name="B" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1"/>
> jrc> </xs:choice>
>
> Dosn't it alllow the choice whithout A nor B for their minOccurs=0?
Just set minOccurs to 1 then. However, nothing prevent you from two A or two B
then.

> Substition group would do.
I guess you're thinking of making A and B member of Child substitution group,
and requiring a sequence of 1 to 2 Child element in parent ? It won't solve
the problem of two A or two B, as any other constraint considering child
element separatly.
--
If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is
guaranteed to crash.