XML gateways

Robert A. (Bob) Morris ram at CS.UMB.EDU
Tue Mar 20 07:44:40 CET 2001

They are not XML enabled. We wish they were since both are pretty
interesting databases.

Virtually all major relational dbms now output XML, if crude, and
there is not really much reason people shouldn't be doing so on some
agreed upon alternative http port, say 8883. It's not critical to wait
for an agreed upon uniform schema to serve XML. it's even possible to
infer a schema or DTD from data instances, and anyway a schema or DTD
is not necessary to do much of what XML is good for. We hope people
will pay more attention to getting out their "raw" data in XML and
publishing their /query/ interfaces so that applications can use
them. When we do something like our gateway, we have to put a lot of
time into reverse engineering the query syntax because so many sites
believe that the only use of their data is through the forms they
provide, or some import of their entire dataset by a prior
arrangement.

Bob