XML gateways

Jim Croft jrc at ANBG.GOV.AU
Wed Mar 21 00:25:09 CET 2001

>Virtually all major relational dbms now output XML, if crude, and
>there is not really much reason people shouldn't be doing so on some
>agreed upon alternative http port, say 8883.

I would advise against this... many institutional firewalls prohibit all
packets except through port 80... this would effectively prevent all of our
staff from playing with the outside world...  bummer, but them's the rules...

>  It's not critical to wait
>for an agreed upon uniform schema to serve XML. it's even possible to
>infer a schema or DTD from data instances, and anyway a schema or DTD
>is not necessary to do much of what XML is good for.

but it is nice to be able to look at them to see what people think they are
doing...   :)

jim