Announcement of the I3C (but where are the taxonomists?)

Vincent, Leszek Leszek at MISSOURI.EDU
Fri Jul 27 14:49:40 CEST 2001

Dear TDWG folk

The note below caught my interest in that I'm a taxonomist/plant systematist
by vocation and am currently working in the area of ontology and controlled
vocabulary development for monocots & dicots (this is an extension of the
Gene Ontology paradigm - see: www.geneontology.org). Lest you're feeling
hopeless about the lack of taxonomists represented in this area of endeavor
(which overlaps I think with the I3C - I need to study it's mandate
further), there is my voice along with those of several other biological
ontologists who are collaborating with me. The relevance & inputs from
taxonomy/systematics are already being realised amongst some of my
colleagues - so there's hope. I'd argue that at least one taxonomist has
already got his 'sleeves rolled up' (IMHO) & is working with other
colleagues with similar goals (as being focused on by the I3C group). We're
hoping to form the Plant Ontology Consortium to extend our tools, paradigm &
'influence', for the benefit of the users of plant-based databases.

Regards,
- Leszek Vincent
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
P. Leszek D. Vincent Ph.D., FLS
Plant Science Unit, Dept. of Agronomy, 209 Curtis Hall,
University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211-7020, USA. Ph: (573)
884-3716 (Agronomy), Fax:(573) 884-7850;
Ph/Fax (Home): (573) 441-1228;
Email: Leszek at missouri.edu
Plant Systematist on the Maize Mapping Project - NSF award 9872655 -
(http://www.cafnr.missouri.edu/mmp/ and  http://www.agron.missouri.edu/)