Comparative data

Mike Dallwitz md at ENTO.CSIRO.AU
Thu Sep 7 09:08:56 CEST 2000

> From: "P. F. Stevens" <peter.stevens at MOBOT.ORG>
> To: TDWG-SDD at USOBI.ORG

>> producing comparative data is difficult. Nevertheless,
>> shouldn't this be one of the main objectives of taxonomy?

> Absolutely.  And surely this is what we are trying to facilitate here, and
> what guides the discussion.

My comments were in response to Kevin Thiele's opinion:

> I think part of the basic problem is [trying] to force too much structure
> and while this is a great promise it's been an impediment in practice.

'Structure' apparently means a character list, i.e. the basis for producing
comparative data. Although Kevin says elsewhere that both structured and
unstructured data should be allowed (and I agree - they are allowed in
DELTA), the above statement seems to suggest that the 'impediment' should be
avoided by encouraging the use of non-comparative data.

--

Mike Dallwitz

CSIRO Entomology, GPO Box 1700, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Phone: +61 2 6246 4075   Fax: +61 2 6246 4000
Email: md at ento.csiro.au  Internet: biodiversity.uno.edu/delta/