TDWG-SDD XML proposals of Kevin Thiele

Vincent, Leszek Leszek at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Nov 6 12:22:51 CET 2000

Dear TDWG folk - I sent the following note to Bob Morris but have since
thought that maybe I should have sent it to the whole list. So here it is.

-----------------------

Dear Bob

Something in the mail below caught my eye & I thought I should mention it
lest something at the foundation level be incorporated which is incorrect.

What I'm referring to is just below a row of *******'s below and copied
here:

>  > <taxonomy>
>  >      <rank="species" value="alfari"/>
>  >      <rank="genus" value="Azteca"/>
>  >      <author value="Emery"/>

What is referred to as "species" value="alfari"/ is actually the specific
epithet. The "species" value in this instance would actually be "Azteca
alfari" You're probably familiar with this protocol of referring to the
scientific name of an organism which implies citing the genus name & the
specific epithet which together comprise the species names - as per the
Linnean system of binomial nomenclature. Should I have the 'wrong end of the
stick' of the discourse at this stage then please advise me.

Sincerely,
- Leszek Vincent
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
P. Leszek D. Vincent Ph.D., FLS
Plant Science Unit, Dept. of Agronomy, 209 Curtis Hall,
University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211-7020, USA. Ph: (573)
884-3716 (Agronomy), Fax:(573) 884-7850;
Ph/Fax (Home): (573) 441-1228;
Email: Leszek at missouri.edu
Plant Systematist on the Missouri Maize Project - NSF award 9872655 -
(http://www.cafnr.missouri.edu/mmp/ and  http://www.agron.missouri.edu/)