Delta-like descriptions for Thiele 0.3 draft

Kevin Thiele kevin.thiele at PI.CSIRO.AU
Tue Nov 7 22:14:33 CET 2000

Bob,

| We think that Kevin's example 9 the <DESCRIPTION> is really meant to be
|
| <DESCRIPTION ID = "1">
| <FEATURE IDREF="1"> <VALUE IDREF="3">
| <FEATURE IDREF="2"> <VALUE IDREF="1">
| </DESCRIPTION>
|
| rather than
|
| <DESCRIPTION ID = "1">
| <FEATURE ID="1"> <VALUE ID="3">
| <FEATURE ID="2"> <VALUE ID="1">
| </DESCRIPTION>

It should probably be:
 <DESCRIPTION IDREF = "1">
 <FEATURE IDREF="1"> <VALUE IDREF="3">
 <FEATURE IDREF="2"> <VALUE IDREF="1">
 </DESCRIPTION>

Since the description is also referring to a defined taxon ID.

| II. Global feature values (This may be a Delta question).
|
| In 0.3's Examples 8 and 9 there do not seem to be any global feature
| values. Instead, all possible values are completely local to
| features. For example, can there be a list of feature values
| containing both "present" and "absent" to which any feature can refer,
| whether or not those values are in that feature's local list of
| values? Or rather, must every feature that wishes to allow those
| values name them in its list of possible values>

I think all values should be specifically named. It would be silly to have a
global "present", then have a feature "Flower colour" that allows this
feature value.

Cheers - k