SDD Specifications Document

Mike Dallwitz md at ENTO.CSIRO.AU
Wed Mar 8 12:18:42 CET 2000

> From: Kevin Thiele <kevin.thiele at PI.CSIRO.AU>

>> From: Leigh Dodds <ldodds at INGENTA.COM>

>> Is it reasonable to include character dependencies 'upwards'?

> There may be a problem if you mix and match "up" and "down" dependency
> definitions. The thing is to choose the one that will be most easily
> defined.

Both forms are necessary for efficient internal use in programs. It's also
convenient to have both forms available in the user interface of a data
editor (our DELTA Editor does this). However, one form is enough for a
data-exchange format - to have both (especially both together in the same
data set) would make reading and checking the data more difficult.

--

Mike Dallwitz

CSIRO Entomology, GPO Box 1700, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Phone: +61 2 6246 4075   Fax: +61 2 6246 4000
Email: md at ento.csiro.au  Internet: biodiversity.uno.edu/delta/