characters/states

Kevin Thiele kevin.thiele at PI.CSIRO.AU
Sat Jul 29 23:44:41 CEST 2000

At 10:23 AM 25/7/00 -0500, Peter Stevens & Stinger commented on the hoary
issue of characters/states vs measurements:

It's completely true that a set of measurements is a more fundamental data
element than a character state. But we need to allow for both ways of
recording data, for two reasons. Firstly, some characters don't lend
themselves to measurement (e.g. indumentum - it would be possible but
hellishly difficult). Secondly, if I'm writing a key to Families, I'm
afraid I probably won't be recording measurements of individual specimens
very often, as the data blowout would be alarming. And what specimens would
I use? I see no way around the problem (for higher-order taxa at least) of
doing the collation of data (measurements->states) in my head, with all the
admitted problems that ensue.

The draft standard document I've put to the group allows for some
characters to be scored after a head-wise (hopefully wise, anyway)
collation, others to be collated from individual measurements using some
form of collation rule.

As to data attribution, the draft standard document allows (I hope) all
data elements to be attributed (to a specimen, taxon, literature citation,
person etc), but doesn't force the issue.