What's new in the worldwide botanical database project

Leigh Dodds ldodds at INGENTA.COM
Wed Jan 5 14:33:33 CET 2000

>      looked Xdelta (http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccslrd/delta/index.html) , a
> direct translation of Delta format in XML; comments: probably better
>      to declare character numbers as ID; characters could be turned into
> rdf:Property

<offtopic>
Character numbers can't be declared as ID if you want to use numbers.
The value of ID attributes has to match the Name production in
the XML spec.

Take the following document:

<!DOCTYPE bar [
<!ELEMENT bar EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST bar attrib ID #REQUIRED>
]>
<bar attrib="1" />

Run it through RXP:

C:\temp>e:\rxp\rxp -xVS bar.xml
Warning: The attribute attrib of element bar is declared as ID but
contains a token that does not start with a name character in unnamed
entity at line 5 char 16 of file:/C:/temp/bar.xml
<bar attrib="1"></bar>

Besides IDs are fairly useless, Schema based validation will likely hold
more
value.
</offtopic>

I'm hoping at some point to revisit XDELTA, to take a step back and
apply some comments/requirements that have surfaced on this list.
If nothing else it might be a talking point.

I'll ditch traditional DTDs and use a Schema based validation mechanism
instead.

Cheers,

L.