Trying it out

P. Bryan Heidorn heidorn at ALEXIA.LIS.UIUC.EDU
Thu Aug 10 15:33:40 CEST 2000

At 03:43 PM 8/10/00 -0400, Robert A. (Bob) Morris wrote:
>[URN = "Unform Resource Name". See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2141.txt
>if you are bold]

That would work!

Need to fix the PRINCIPLE/PRINCIPAL problem too.

>P. Bryan Heidorn writes:
>  > Date:         Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:59:50 -0500
>  > From: "P. Bryan Heidorn" <heidorn at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>
>  > To: TDWG-SDD at usobi.org
>  > Subject:      Trying it out
>  >[...]
>  > Treatment build/revision number is a really good idea and we all agreed
>  > that we should have had it in our treatments before.
>  > <TREATMENT REVISION>0.1</TREATMENT REVISION>
>
>  > We use the 0 when the treatment is under development and not released yet.
>  > I do not know how to deal with dynamic treatment build revision numbers.
>
>What's meant by this?

I don't think this needs to be in the spec. We're just following software
development practice that anything with a revision number less than 1.0 can
not be trusted.... Or is that anything less than 2.5?

> [...]
>
>IMO a contributor would be a URN, that is a globally unique
>identifier, and there would be catalogs at which the Contributor could
>update contact information. In this case, the contact information
>would be advisory only and contain the URL of the catalog service.
>Typical URN's are email addresses or URL's (even when the latter don't
>actually point to any actual web page.). The data might need to carry
>or point to a clue that the URN's are only for disambiguation---they
>might, e.g. not result in an email reaching the person).
>

>  >
>  > It should be that when a person requests a treatment in DDST v1.1 format
>  > that they will get back a contributor list with ID, Name and Contact
>  > Details but in most cases the system providing the information would
> insert
>  > the contact information "on the fly". There does not seem to be a
> reason to
>
>Per above, the system could query the catalog for the
>above info, but so could the requestor's software if the data server
>identified the catalog URL and provided enough information for the
>requesting software to make a request to the catalog. Among other
>things, given the Contributer's URN it is even conceivable that the
>requestor might be able to find more accurate contact information that
>is available at the catalog the system consults.
>
>  > force the contributor IDs to be numeric as stated in the spec. Alpha
>  > numeric can carry at least a little information to make the codes
> readable.
>
>For example, email addresses as URN's /usually/ will be very
>meaningful and always unique.
>
>  > The current standard makes a relatively weak standard that the contributor
>  > codes are unique to the treatment. I think we need to use a broader
>  > definition. The should be unique to a collection at least. That way it
>

>  > would be easy to find all treatments in a collection that a particular
>  > person was a contributor for. Better if they were unique for the world but
>  > that is more than this group can bite off I think.  DDST should at least
>  > say that the Contributor ID is unique to a Collection.
>
>They should be unique on a galactic scale at least.
>

>  > For us we have
>  > <CONTRIBUTOR LIST>
>  >                 <CONTRIBUTOR>
>  >                 <CONTRIBUTOR ID>ML1</CONTRIBUTOR ID>
>  >                 <CONTRIBUTOR NAME>Mary L.</CONTRIBUTOR NAME>
>  >                 <CONTACT DETAILS>
>  >                         <EMAIL>maryl at uiuc.edu</EMAIL>
>  >                         <MAILING ADDRESS>
>  >                         Address here
>  >                         </MAILING ADDRESS>
>  >                 </CONTACT DETAILS>
>  >         </CONTRIBUTOR><CONTRIBUTOR>
>  >                 <CONTRIBUTOR ID>PBH1</CONTRIBUTOR ID>
>  >                 <CONTRIBUTOR NAME>P. Bryan Heidorn</CONTRIBUTOR NAME>
>
>Yech. Separate names into different elements for ease of

Yes. We should grab that spec somewhere else too so that we do not need to
worry about details of how each culture orders names and titles.

>  >                 <CONTACT DETAILS>
>  >                         <EMAIL>PHEIDORN at UIUC.EDU</EMAIL>
>  >                         <MAILING ADDRESS>
>  >                         Graduate School of Library and Information
> Science,
>  >                         University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,
>  >                         501 East Daniel St., Champaign, IL  61820-6212
>  >                         </MAILING ADDRESS>
>
>There must be existing XML mailing address standards around. Better to
>use them to leverage any other software that also does.

You bet. We just need to find it.

>  >                 </CONTACT DETAILS>
>  >         </CONTRIBUTOR>
>  > <CONTRIBUTOR LIST>
>  >
>  > Attribution:
>  > Must this be a contributor? If so this information should be handles as a
>  > property of <CONTRIBUTOR ROLE=PRINCIPLE|COPRINCIPLE> or as another tag of
>  > <CONTRIBUTOR>
>  >     .... <ROLE>PRINCIPLE</ROLE>....
>  > Suggestions?
>
>mm, isn't Linnaeus a frequent attributee but a rare contributor?

Yes, now-a-days
I get it.