Trying it out

Leigh Dodds ldodds at INGENTA.COM
Wed Aug 23 15:46:25 CEST 2000

Hi all, just catching up on the recent list traffic...

Thought I'd throw out a few pointers which came to mind.

[...]

>  >                 <CONTRIBUTOR ID>PBH1</CONTRIBUTOR ID>
>  >                 <CONTRIBUTOR NAME>P. Bryan Heidorn</CONTRIBUTOR NAME>
>
> Yech. Separate names into different elements for ease of
> transformation, e.g. alphabetizing.

Some recent relevant discussion (on XML-DEV) regarding the marking up of
names
[1,2,3,4,5,6] (Personally I like the format proposed by John Cowan, see
[4]).

[...]

> There must be existing XML mailing address standards around. Better to
> use them to leverage any other software that also does.

These are good points - it is certainly worth looking around to re-use
'standard'
markup conventions where posssible. The Dublin Core Metadata Initiative [7]
may
be one useful resource here. For example they specify qualifiers for
some elements (e.g. creator/contributor) [8, 9] which allow identification
of name,
affiliation, etc.

Even if the exact markup is not used, there are usually useful lessons to be
learnt.

--

There has been some discussion regarding producing an XML version of the
current

The XML patterns site [12] is an excellent resource for information on
defining
good XML document types.

--

I've become increasingly convinced lately that the RDF model [13, 14 (useful
introduction)] may be useful in this

e.g. socrates is a man, the leaf is ovate.

Still mulling this one over...

[1]. http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200005/msg00396.html
[2]. http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200005/msg00408.html
[3]. http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200005/msg00412.html
[4]. http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200005/msg00422.html
[5]. http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200005/msg00410.html
[6]. http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200005/msg00423.html
[7]. http://purl.org/DC/index.htm
[8]. http://purl.org/DC/documents/rec-dces-19990702.htm
[9]. http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/dc-agents/files/wd-agent-qual.html
[10]. http://www.xmlpatterns.com/SeparateMetadataAndDataMain.shtml
[11]. http://www.xmlpatterns.com/HeadBodyMain.shtml
[12]. http://www.xmlpatterns.com/index.shtml
[13]. http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/
[14]. http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/98/06/rdf.html

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds, Systems Architect       | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"