Some useful references

Mauro J. Cavalcanti maurobio at ACD.UFRJ.BR
Thu Nov 25 08:41:34 CET 1999

Dear Computer Taxonomists,

Here are some references that you may find potentially useful to throw
some light on the recent (quite impressive!) discussions. From a more
theoretical viewpoint, I especially recomend the papers by Diederich.

Allkin, R. & White, R.J. 1989. XDF: A Language for the Definition and
Exchange of Biological Data Sets. Description & Manual. Version 3.3.
Unpublished. 49 p.

Diederich, J. 1997. Basic properties for biological databases: character
development and support. Mathematical and  Computer Modelling 25:
109-127.

Diederich, J., Fortuner, R. & Milton, J. 1997. Construction and
integration of large character sets for nematode morpho-anatomical data.
Fundamental and Applied Nematology 20: 409-424.

Maddison, D.R.,  Swofford, D.L. & Maddison, W.P. 1997. NEXUS: An
extensible file format for systematic information. Systematic Biology
46: 590-621.

White, R.J. & Allkin, R. 1992. A language for the definition and
exchange of biological data sets. Mathematical and Computer Modelling
16: 199-223.

Winfield, P.J. & Allkin, R. 1991. ALICE Transfer Format (ATF)
Definition. Version 1.2. ALICE Software Partnership, The Royal Botanic
Gardens, Kew, Richmond. 17 p.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

--
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - Mauro J. Cavalcanti - - - - - - - - - - - - +
| Setor de Paleovertebrados, Departamento de Geologia e Paleontologia |