A comparison of formats for descriptive data

Mike Dallwitz md at ENTO.CSIRO.AU
Thu Nov 25 15:59:55 CET 1999

> From: Jim Croft
> To: TDWG-SDD

> enunciate/tabulate exactly what it is we are trying to achieve and the
> shortcomings/limitations of exiting formats in reaching this goal

No sooner said than done :-). See

A comparison of formats for descriptive data
http://biodiversity.uno.edu/delta/www/compdata.htm

Actually, I've been working on this for a few days, but have been
hampered by some administrative work (a review of our project).

The document is rather sketchy at the moment, and I will correct and
add to it as time permits. There may be quite a few errors in the
information on Nexus/Paup/MacClade. Also, I haven't yet had time to
incorporate some of the suggestions made on this list.

The paper I presented at the recent TDWG meeting is also available:

Introduction to data requirements for natural-language descriptions
    and identification.
http://biodiversity.uno.edu/delta/www/descdata.htm

--

Mike Dallwitz

CSIRO Entomology, GPO Box 1700, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Phone: +61 2 6246 4075   Fax: +61 2 6246 4000
Email: md at ento.csiro.au  Internet: biodiversity.uno.edu/delta/