Item description data in XML (XML)

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Mon Nov 29 18:08:03 CET 1999

In the separate post "Markup of text descriptions Vs. structured data
(GEN)" I suggested that we need to distinguish between markup and
data.

Markup would be:

<leaf>leaves usually obovate, 3 cm long</leaf>

or

long</leaf>

Don suggested to encode the data element like:

<leaf shape="obovate" length_mm="31"/>

     (NB: Please read the hardcoded namespace as an example only, see
          my separate "(GEN) Schema independence" post)

As far as I understand XML, these attributes would be automatically
hidden from view, which is fine for the markup purpose. However, I
would prefer a coding method, which would allow comprehensive use of
XML for the data definition part as well.

Probably a stylesheet could determine whether only the free text with
hidden markup is visible, only the data, or both?

Any ideas, perhaps any technical suggestions, how to achieve that?

Gregor
Inst. for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Gregor Hagedorn                 Net: G.Hagedorn at bba.de
Koenigin-Luise-Str. 19          Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203

Often wrong but never in doubt!