[TDWG-BDQ] Darwin Core Hour + 2BBQs: Imagining a global gazetteer of georeferences

Paula Zermoglio pzermoglio at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 02:05:56 UTC 2020

A new *Darwin Core (DwC) Hour + 2BBQs!* are almost here:

*Imagining a global gazetteer of georeferences*
[image: Promotion_v2.jpg]

This Darwin Core Hour will consist of a 1hs Webinar and two 2hs BBQ
sessions.

Please see Webinar and BBQs Details and Meeting Links at
https://www.idigbio.org/content/darwin-core-hour-2-bbqs-imagining-global-gazetteer-georeferences

*Abstract:*

We want our georeferencing to be just right: complete, as accurate as
possible, and usable for research. However, it takes a great effort and
resources to do so, right? Although the majority of the records shared
online are not georeferenced, we have invested a huge, collective effort
already; there ARE a lot of georeferenced locations already published. In
GBIF, for example, there are >54M unique location strings that are
georeferenced, affecting >530M occurrence records. We know that many
collection/observation sites tend to be repeated across institutions and
even taxa. Could we take advantage of all the effort already invested by
the community? Could we use those georeferences to complete records that do
not have them?

The answer is: (probably) yes, and it would be awesome! In this Darwin Core
Hour and BBQ we will present and discuss the idea of building a global
gazetteer of georeferenced localities for everyone to use.

When:

   1. *Darwin Core Hour Time (~1 Hour **13:00 to 14:00 UTC)*: 9:00 AM EDT,
   10:00 AM ART, 14:00 BST, 15:00 CEST, 13:00 GMT Click for your local time
   <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20200504T1300>
   .
   2. *Darwin Core Hour BBQ 1* (Monday 4 May 2020, 14:00 to 16:00 UTC)
   3. *Darwin Core Hour BBQ 2* (Thursday 7 May 2020, 20:00-22:00 UTC
   <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20200507T2000>)
   4:00 PM EDT, 5:00 PM ART, 9:00 PM BST, 10:00 PM CEST, 20:00 GMT

EXTRAS:

   - Explore the Darwin Core Questions & Answers wiki:
   https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/wiki
   - See which of your questions have been asked and answered so far:
   https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/issues
   - Submit your question / volunteer (yourself or someone) to do a webinar
   on a darwin core topic: https://tinyurl.com/zja2muz

Happy Darwin Core and Data Quality, and hope to see you soon!

Paula Zermoglio, et al. from the Darwin Core Hour Team

(please kindly excuse cross-postings!)