[dwc-mixs] DwC-MIxS TG third meeting follow-up and next steps

Raissa Meyer raissa.meyer at awi.de
Wed Mar 3 12:47:11 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Thank you all, once again, for the productive meeting.

Our next meeting will be on March 16th at 4 pm UTC, following our fortnightly rhythm. The link is available in the previous calendar invite and will be used consistently for all recurring meetings.

Below, please find sections with a summary of yesterday’s meeting and next steps.

== SUMMARY ==
For extended meeting notes, please see our running minutes document [1].

We discussed any comments and reactions that came up on review of the first-pass mappings. Major outcomes based on this were:
For this TG we will focus on the mapping direction of DWC —> MIxS (Related issues: Issue 12 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/12#issuecomment-788964496> and Issue 28 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/28#issuecomment-784801494>)
For mappings that relate two terms which have an associative rather than a hierarchical match, we will use skos:relatedMatch (in such cases skos:broadMatch would be inappropriate as it implies that skos:narrowMatch is the inverse).
Our mappings should be exhaustive, so if there are multiple possible mappings (including one-to-many, many-to-many, and many-to-one mappings), we will capture all of them in the SSSOM matrix. (Related issues: Issue 12 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/12#issuecomment-788902485>, Issue 13 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/13#issuecomment-788905133>, and Issue 15 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/15#issuecomment-788779469>)
We decided that the choice of mapping predicates will be based on semantics only (i.e. are the fields about the same things in the world), and will not consider syntax recommendations (this is in contrast to what we had decided last week for the ‘elevation’ use case). If we do stick with this, we’ll have to make it very clear in our report and when sharing the mapping in the future. We must further ensure that this is compliant with the specification of SKOS semantic relations <https://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#semantic-relations> and SKOS mapping properties  <https://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#mapping>(Related issues: Issue 28 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/28#issue-814813294> and SSSOM#15 <https://github.com/mapping-commons/SSSOM/issues/52>)

Bill has kindly generated term lists of all non-MIxS-core-redundant MIxS environmental packages terms (see here <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/tree/main/dwc-mixs/notebooks/mixs-package-terms> for the notebooks and files). This sets us up to approach the mapping of MIxS environmental package terms to DwC terms. We anticipate that few will qualify for this mapping, as most MIxS environmental package terms are quite specific. This does, however, suggest that DwC could reuse MIxS IRIs for these terms if it needs to extend in that direction, and if the term is appropriate to their application cases.

== NEXT STEPS ==
In preparation for our next meeting, please
review the existing mappings to see if any should be updated in response to the major outcomes of this meeting. Please capture any suggestions on our issue tracker <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues>.
look through any MIxS environmental packages (see tabs in the SSSOM mapping spreadsheet <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k6Xe1OREUVISLjw1XLrtLqWsE7QgvWf7lSIXEbqXDpA/edit?usp=sharing>) of interest to you or your organisation, and highlight any fields that could be mapped to DwC terms. To avoid duplicating efforts, please capture your activity on our issue tracker <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues>.

Thank you and best wishes,
Raïssa and Pier

[1] Running notes document <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1569Q7D0Tm03vRQmu2L2WykI63Uk8Aa20GJBC7kUnMZ4/edit#heading=h.nya8uz97plgv>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1569Q7D0Tm03vRQmu2L2WykI63Uk8Aa20GJBC7kUnMZ4/edit#heading=h.nya8uz97plgv <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1569Q7D0Tm03vRQmu2L2WykI63Uk8Aa20GJBC7kUnMZ4/edit#heading=h.nya8uz97plgv>
[2] DwC-MIxS mapping spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k6Xe1OREUVISLjw1XLrtLqWsE7QgvWf7lSIXEbqXDpA/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k6Xe1OREUVISLjw1XLrtLqWsE7QgvWf7lSIXEbqXDpA/edit?usp=sharing>
[3] Issue tracker https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues>
—

https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2996-719X