[dwc-mixs] DwC "picklist" extension to MIxS IRIs

Tim Robertson trobertson at gbif.org
Tue Jun 22 15:18:20 UTC 2021

Thanks, Pier

Just for a bit of background - you're assuming these are IRIs, but the DwC-A work was all designed at a time when URNs were common and expectations of resolvability weren't as high as today.
The original design was really just to ensure a globally unique URN was used.

I think the concerns you raise are valid, and especially with the current intent to achieve resolvability for all the w3id.org/... terms.
We do need a URN though, and I understand there isn't an intention to make resolvable terms for these concepts. The rs.gbif.org namespace has been used for this kind of thing in the past, which might be an alternative option to lower expectations.

Thanks,
Tim