[dwc-mixs] DwC-MIxS TG meeting follow-up and next steps

Raissa Meyer raissa.meyer at awi.de
Tue Feb 23 21:08:45 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Thank you all for the productive meeting.

To avoid meeting conflicts with GBWG (e.g. 23rd of March), we suggest shifting our regular meetings by one week. If there are no objections, we would thus have the next meeting one week from today (2021-03-02T16:00Z). I’ll send an updated Zoom invite by Friday.

Below, please find sections with a summary of today’s meeting and next steps.

==SUMMARY==
For extended meeting notes, please see our running minutes document [1].

John kindly did a complete run-through of the DwC to MIxS core mapping and captured it both in our mapping spreadsheet [2] and issue tracker [3]. In today’s meeting we’ve started to discuss any uncertainties around these mappings:
Issue 13 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/13> The definition of depth in MIxS core is “Please refer to the definitions of depth in the environmental packages” which impedes appropriate mapping. We will add an issue about this on the GSC issue tracker to prevent this carrying over to MIxS V6.
Issue 14 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/14> MIxS V5 does not offer an ID for altitude. This has been added for MIxS V6.
Issue 28 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/28> While most MIxS terms specify a constrained value syntax, many of the mapped DwC terms are supposed to be verbatim. We will have to be mindful of this when choosing the mapping predicates, which may change depending on the direction of the mapping (e.g. see issue 15 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/15>). We will also add a column to the mapping spreadsheet to capture this.
Most of the terms in the MIxS environmental packages are either redundant with those in MIxS core, or orthogonal to DwC and thus don’t require additional mapping. Before reviewing this in detail, Bill has kindly offered to generate a release of the MIxS environmental packages containing only the non-redundant terms and link it on our issue tracker.

We’ve additionally addressed issue 24 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/25> and issue 25 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/24> which, though not in the immediate scope of this TG, may be of interest. As captured by Bill here <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/27>, we have also touched on how one-to-many/many-to-one/many-to-many mappings may proliferate through star-schemas used in DwC implementations.

==NEXT STEPS==
In preparation for our next meeting,
please review the first-pass mappings and add comments or reactions to the respective issues.
PLB and others that are interested are welcome to add comments about the semantic differences between the definitions, which may provide a foundation for a deeper integration following this TG's work.
RM will add a ticket on the GSC issue tracker about the MIxS core depth definition.
Bill has kindly agreed to generate a MIxS V5 spreadsheet of the only the non-MIxS-core-redundant MIxS environmental package terms, which we will move over to the mapping spreadsheet once ready.

Thank you and best wishes,
Raïssa and Pier

[1] Running notes document https://docs.google.com/document/d/1569Q7D0Tm03vRQmu2L2WykI63Uk8Aa20GJBC7kUnMZ4/edit#heading=h.23xvmop8syti <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1569Q7D0Tm03vRQmu2L2WykI63Uk8Aa20GJBC7kUnMZ4/edit#heading=h.23xvmop8syti>
[2] DwC-MIxS mapping spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k6Xe1OREUVISLjw1XLrtLqWsE7QgvWf7lSIXEbqXDpA/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k6Xe1OREUVISLjw1XLrtLqWsE7QgvWf7lSIXEbqXDpA/edit?usp=sharing>
[3] Issue tracker https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues>
[X] Folder with all shared documents https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10bFB-yEgle4j4pYDpgW8nYxemIcIRvSs?usp=sharing <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10bFB-yEgle4j4pYDpgW8nYxemIcIRvSs?usp=sharing>

—

https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2996-719X